Children pose many challenges when it comes to medication. In general, they may resist having to take medication, dislike the taste or texture, have difficulty swallowing tablets and capsules, and are fearful of injections. Customized medications offer alternatives and advantages for children.
Pediatric Compounding Options
- Elimination of Problem-Causing Excipients – Formulations can be customized to eliminate gluten, caseain, dyes, sugar, lactose, alcohol and preservatives Flavoring
- Change in Route of Administration or Dosage Form – Our compounding professional can prepare alternate dosage forms such as lollipops, transdermal gels, oral suspensions or suppositories.
- Combination Preparations – We can combine compatible medications or supplements to a single dosage form to simplify a medication administration schedule and improve compliance.
- Unavailable Medications – When a medication is temporarily unavailable or discounted due to manufacturing concerns, we can usually obtain the needed drug as a pharmaceutical grade chemical and compound a similar preparation.
- Practitioner-Specific Formulations – Physicians often develop specific formulations to meet the unique needs of their patient population. We commonly prepare these customized therapies.
Common pediatric compounding areas
- Gluten-Free, Dye and Casein-Free Preparations
- Nausea and Vomiting
- Diaper Rash